Cascading lists in a search form

Menashe' Eliezer

Re: Cascading lists in a search form

david@butterdev.com
Working with the XMLHttpRequest directly is not a good idea.  Are you
currently using DWR?  If the REST service already exists using a
front-end library (JQuery, etc.) is probably a better option for you.

On 2014-10-30 04:47, Menashe' Eliezer wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm new to DWR and I couldn't find a response to my question.
> I'm developing a search form in which almost all components are
> inter-connected.
> In the beginning it should present only what is currently available in
> the eXist-db xml database using xquery. eXist-db xml can be queried by
> URIs. It offers a REST service.
> Then each time a user choose something in a list, the other lists
> should automatically make queries to get new lists based on ALL
> current filters. I hope it's clear. Basically once the user click
> finally on the Search button, the filters are based on realtime
> information.
> So, it's not a simple case of cascading where for example there is a
> component cities with one parent country, in which the hierarchy is
> static and clear.
> I've planned to code all the Ajax calls and parsing the returned
> xml/json results, but maybe DWR can simplify and accelerate the coding
> process.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Menashè

Re: Cascading lists in a search form

Menashe' Eliezer

Re: Cascading lists in a search form

david@butterdev.com
JQuery can make ajax calls, etc. as well.  DWR is primarily an RPC
mechanism that can expose Java methods to a browser.  Since you already
have a REST service that already exists, you just need to write some
code to handle the conditional processing (this item has been selected,
make this call and add the results to this list, etc.).