DWR is preventing session replication

Anvita Sharma
Hello DWR experts,

We are experiencing a strange issue while having DWR jar as a part of my
customer's application.

The application WAR is running on JBoss Enterprise Application Platform
in a clustered environment. The session replication is not working, if
DWR.jar is present in the WAR file, but works perfectly fine if DWR.jar
is removed.

We are using DWR.jar 2.0 in this application. Has anyone encountered a
similar issue at their end with this version or if this issue has been
resolved in any further versions?

Here is a thread that talks about a similar issue

http://markmail.org/message/ee42jwwgwtjxm6c5#query:+page:1+mid:s5lnvrdjx3k4cgzt+state:results

Thanks,
Anvita Sharma,
Red Hat, India.

Re: DWR is preventing session replication

david@butterdev.com
Not working is pretty vague.  Are you getting the same stacktrace that
you posted a link to?

On 2016-02-24 02:51, Anvita Sharma wrote:

> Hello DWR experts,
>
> We are experiencing a strange issue while having DWR jar as a part of
> my customer's application.
>
> The application WAR is running on JBoss Enterprise Application
> Platform in a clustered environment. The session replication is not
> working, if DWR.jar is present in the WAR file, but works perfectly
> fine if DWR.jar is removed.
>
> We are using DWR.jar 2.0 in this application. Has anyone encountered a
> similar issue at their end with this version or if this issue has been
> resolved in any further versions?
>
> Here is a thread that talks about a similar issue
>
> http://markmail.org/message/ee42jwwgwtjxm6c5#query:+page:1+mid:s5lnvrdjx3k4cgzt+state:results
>
> Thanks,
> Anvita Sharma,
> Red Hat, India.

Re: DWR is preventing session replication

Normally I would expect session replication problems to occur if there are
non-serializable objects set as HttpSession attributes. DWR only uses a
couple of session attributes and these objects are all serializable. There
were a couple of fixes in this area from DWR 2.x to 3.x, see:
https://directwebremoting.atlassian.net/browse/DWR-311?jql=text%20~%20%22ser
ializable%22
but they mainly affect file upload.

If your DWR configuration uses session-scoped creators then your own
referred application classes will be put on the session so then these must
also be serializable.

I would expect your appserver to log an error message about the failed
replication. In the message you should find the reason for the failure and
usually the name of the offending class, if any.