Fwd: Timeout functionality Implementation - IE8

Fwd: Timeout functionality Implementation - IE8

cmontalvo
Dev,

I checked the issue tracking to see if I could find any other person experiencing this problem.  I am trying to implement a timeout in a DWR application with the function below and noticed that in IE the timeout doesn't wait the 5 seconds I provided to the timeout parameter.  It goes into the error handler function immediately as soon as the "retrieveModelConfigurations" function is called.  If I run this in Firefox, it properly goes into the callback before the error handler is invoked.

I'm running IE8 on windows XP.  Has anyone ever faced this problem?  Is the timeout functionality supported on IE8?

As you can see in the function below, the way I defined the callback, error hander, and timeout is almost exactly like the example on the DWR website (here: http://directwebremoting.org/dwr/documentation/browser/engine/errors.html)

function AJAXRetrieveConfigurations(productType, dbs, dealer, model){
    clearInfoAndErrorMessages();

    //ProductRetrievalService.retrieveModelConfigurations(dealer, dbs, productType, model, configHandler);
    ProductRetrievalService.retrieveModelConfigurations(dealer, dbs, productType, model,
    {
        callback:configHandler,
        errorHandler:errHandler,
        timeout:5000
    });
}

Thanks a lot for your help.

Chris

Re: Fwd: Timeout functionality Implementation - IE8

david@butterdev.com
Chris,
   In the future please use the users mailing list for questions, as indicated on our support page - http://directwebremoting.org/dwr/support/.  What version of DWR are you using?  What method are you using to simulate a timeout?

On 06/25/2013 05:01 PM, Chris Montalvo wrote:
[...]

Hi David,

thanks for responding.  I actually did send an email to the users email address but received this error:

Technical details of permanent failure:
DNS Error: Domain name not found

Anyway,

we're using DWR 3.0.rc2.

I included some of the code in my last email.  I'm essentially trying to address an issue with IE9.  Sometimes my request from DWR gets sent to the app server and I can see the request reaching my load balancers but never making it to my application server.  It just sits there waiting forever but since it never made it to the application server it never comes back.  I want to have a way to handle this scenario with DWRs timeout implementation, but when I tried it, I can see that the errorHandler function gets set off immediately when I call my remote method.

I'm essentially recreating this example from the website:

http://directwebremoting.org/dwr/documentation/browser/engine/errors.html

Remote.method(params, {
  callback:function(data) { alert("it worked"); },
  errorHandler:function(message) { alert("it broke"); },
  timeout:1000
});

I added the alert("it broke") alert and like I said, as soon as my "Remote.method" is called, it jumps immediately into the errorHandler.

If I run the same exact code in Firefox, it works fine.  I'm running IE8 on windows XP.

Chris

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM, David Marginian <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

sorry for the confusion.  I'm addressing a separate issue in IE9 but let's not include that in this discussion.

The issue I'm having is specific to the timeout.  I'll follow your request of a breakpoint in the errorHandler and go from there.

As I mentioned to you, I just followed the example, which has an alert with the words "it broke" in it, so I'm certain that it's reaching that errorHandler.

Thanks.

Chris

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM, David Marginian <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

yes I do have a test case that is working fine in firefox.  I'm essentially testing out how the timeout functionality works.  Let me explain my understanding here to make sure I'm simply not misunderstanding the functionality.

- I have a creator defined in my dwr.xml which exposed a class called ProductRetrievalService

- My ProductRetrievalService class has a method called "retrieveModelConfigurations"

- So my timeout condition is, if this method takes longer than a certain period of time, I want the errorHandler to be called.

From my understanding, if I make this call:

ProductRetrievalService.retrieveModelConfigurations(params,
{
  callback:function(data) { alert("it worked"); },
  errorHandler:function(message) { alert("it broke"); },
  timeout:1000
});

the errorHandler should be invoked after 1 second of waiting for my retrieveModelConfigurations function to provide a result.

So I tested this in firefox and it worked fine, I made the timeout something very small, like say a half a second, so that I knew that the errorHandler was set off.  Then I changed the timeout to something like 4 seconds and it never went off because the retrieveModelConfigurations function came back prior to that 4 second timeout.

In IE however, no matter how much I change the timeout parameter to (I tried 10 seconds), the errorHandler went off immediately when I made the retrieveModelConfigurations call.  In fact, I can see that the errorHandler goes off even before the retrieveModelConfigurations function is called.  That is the problem I'm facing.

Let me know if this makes sense, I hope my understanding of the timeout functionality is correct.

Thanks a lot David!

Chris

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 1:41 PM, David Marginian <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

If this is the case, the issue is not the timeout.  How are you calling the function?  On page load?  Can you send the complete HTML/JS code?

On 06/26/2013 04:47 PM, Chris Montalvo wrote:
Hi David,

yes I do have a test case that is working fine in firefox.  I'm essentially testing out how the timeout functionality works.  Let me explain my understanding here to make sure I'm simply not misunderstanding the functionality.

- I have a creator defined in my dwr.xml which exposed a class called ProductRetrievalService

- My ProductRetrievalService class has a method called "retrieveModelConfigurations"

- So my timeout condition is, if this method takes longer than a certain period of time, I want the errorHandler to be called.

From my understanding, if I make this call:

[...]

I unfortunately cannot send you the code, but I'll build a generic test case that I can shoot off to you guys.

Thanks.

Chris

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM, David Marginian <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From my understanding, if I make this call: