No data received from server

okorng

Re: No data received from server

Depending on which browser there could be a number of legitimate scenarios
where this error happens, f ex when navigating away from a page during an
ongoing ajax call.
That being said, you are on a very old version of DWR so I suggest you
upgrade to the latest version, 2.0.11 or preferrably 3.0, before putting any
major work into bug hunting.

Gregor wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem with DWR being reliable.  What could be the
> reasons for DWR resulting in a "No data received from server" error?
>
> We are using DWR 2.0.5 and are using it in both a standalone WebSphere
> webapp, and in WebSphere Portlets.   This error behavior is random.
> No discernable pattern is recognized to narrow the search for a cause
> and solution.
>
> From setting breakpoints in Firebug when that error message is
> generated, I see that the error is caught in engine.js after the
> XMLHttpRequest call results in a "responseText" value of
> either null or
> "".  Below is a snippet from that file and function:
>
> /** @private Called by XMLHttpRequest to indicate that something has
> happened */
> dwr.engine._stateChange = function(batch) {
>   var toEval;
>
>   if (batch.completed) {
>     dwr.engine._debug("Error: _stateChange() with batch.completed");
>     return;
>   }
>
>   var req = batch.req;
>   try {
>     if (req.readyState != 4) return;
>   }
>   catch (ex) {
>     dwr.engine._handleWarning(batch, ex);
>     // It's broken - clear up and forget this call
>     dwr.engine._clearUp(batch);
>     return;
>   }
>
>   if (dwr.engine._unloading) {
>     dwr.engine._debug("Ignoring reply from server as page is
> unloading.");
>     return;
>   }
>
>   try {
>     var reply = req.responseText;
>     reply = dwr.engine._replyRewriteHandler(reply);
>     var status = req.status; // causes Mozilla to except on page moves
>
>     if (reply == null || reply == "") {
>       dwr.engine._handleWarning(batch, {
> name:"dwr.engine.missingData",
> message:"No data received from server" });
>     }
>     else if (status != 200) {
>       dwr.engine._handleError(batch, { name:"dwr.engine.http." +
> status, message:req.statusText });
>     }
>
> }
>
> How can I debug this issue?  I've already set breakpoints in the java
> methods that DWR calls and verified that the backend is
> returning valid
> response data for the service call.  The java method that is returning
> control to DWR and javascript has good and expected data to
> return, but
> somewhere after that java method returns the value the DWR somehow
> receives a null or "" as the responseText.
>
> This happens for any random DWR call that we make.  We are not using
> the reverse AJAX feature - just the normal feature.  Any
> suggestions on
> how to determine what could be the problem?
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read this.

> [...]

gregorcok
Thank you Mike.  I appreciate the suggestion.   I'll convert to 3.0 and see how that responds.

Regards,
Gregor Okorn,
Leidos, [hidden email], cell 571-247-5490

Gregor wrote:

> [...]
>     }
>     else if (status != 200) {
>       dwr.engine._handleError(batch, { name:"dwr.engine.http." +
> status, message:req.statusText });
>     }
>
> }
>
> How can I debug this issue?  I've already set breakpoints in the java
> methods that DWR calls and verified that the backend is returning
> valid response data for the service call.  The java method that is
> returning control to DWR and javascript has good and expected data to
> return, but somewhere after that java method returns the value the DWR
> somehow receives a null or "" as the responseText.
>
> This happens for any random DWR call that we make.  We are not using
> the reverse AJAX feature - just the normal feature.  Any suggestions
> on how to determine what could be the problem?
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I've been trying to upgrade from dwr2.0.5 to dwr3.0 with miserable results.  It should be a simple thing to upgrade.  Replace the old dwr.jar file with the new one, and update the dwr.xml files to refer to dwr3 instead of dwr2, and replace the old engine.js file and util.js file with the new ones.  Right?   I make those changes and try to restart my WebSphere portal - but the portal fails to start.  It hangs, forcing me to kill the portal server process.

Should upgrading to dwr3 be any more complicated than that?  The only significant change that I observed from the release notes was that the engine.js had to be included before the class js file now.   None of the other release notes applied to our project.

Am I missing something?

Regards,
Gregor Okorn,

Gregor wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem with DWR being reliable.  What could be the
> reasons for DWR resulting in a "No data received from server" error?
>
> We are using DWR 2.0.5 and are using it in both a standalone WebSphere
> webapp, and in WebSphere Portlets.   This error behavior is random.
> No discernable pattern is recognized to narrow the search for a cause
> and solution.
>
> From setting breakpoints in Firebug when that error message is
> generated, I see that the error is caught in engine.js after the
> XMLHttpRequest call results in a "responseText" value of either null
> or "".  Below is a snippet from that file and function:
>
> /** @private Called by XMLHttpRequest to indicate that something has
> happened */ dwr.engine._stateChange = function(batch) {
>   var toEval;
>
>   if (batch.completed) {
>     dwr.engine._debug("Error: _stateChange() with batch.completed");
>     return;
>   }
>
>   var req = batch.req;
>   try {
>     if (req.readyState != 4) return;
>   }
>   catch (ex) {
>     dwr.engine._handleWarning(batch, ex);
>     // It's broken - clear up and forget this call
>     dwr.engine._clearUp(batch);
>     return;
>   }
>
>   if (dwr.engine._unloading) {
>     dwr.engine._debug("Ignoring reply from server as page is
> unloading.");
>     return;
>   }
>
>   try {
>     var reply = req.responseText;
>     reply = dwr.engine._replyRewriteHandler(reply);
>     var status = req.status; // causes Mozilla to except on page moves
>
>     if (reply == null || reply == "") {
>       dwr.engine._handleWarning(batch, {
> name:"dwr.engine.missingData", message:"No data received from server"
> });
>     }
>     else if (status != 200) {
>       dwr.engine._handleError(batch, { name:"dwr.engine.http." +
> status, message:req.statusText });
>     }
>
> }
>
> How can I debug this issue?  I've already set breakpoints in the java
> methods that DWR calls and verified that the backend is returning
> valid response data for the service call.  The java method that is
> returning control to DWR and javascript has good and expected data to
> return, but somewhere after that java method returns the value the DWR
> somehow receives a null or "" as the responseText.
>
> This happens for any random DWR call that we make.  We are not using
> the reverse AJAX feature - just the normal feature.  Any suggestions
> on how to determine what could be the problem?
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read this.
>
> Gregor

Re: No data received from server

david@butterdev.com
Can you provide any details?  Anything in the server logs?

On 09/14/2015 12:05 PM, Okorn, Gregor C. wrote:

> Hello,
> I've been trying to upgrade from dwr2.0.5 to dwr3.0 with miserable results.  It should be a simple thing to upgrade.  Replace the old dwr.jar file with the new one, and update the dwr.xml files to refer to dwr3 instead of dwr2, and replace the old engine.js file and util.js file with the new ones.  Right?   I make those changes and try to restart my WebSphere portal - but the portal fails to start.  It hangs, forcing me to kill the portal server process.
>
> Should upgrading to dwr3 be any more complicated than that?  The only significant change that I observed from the release notes was that the engine.js had to be included before the class js file now.   None of the other release notes applied to our project.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Regards,
> Gregor Okorn,

It looks to me you used to have some type of token replacement, and it
is no longer working.

"The resource [${overridePath}${plainCallHandlerUrl}."

You should be able to determine what is wrong by examining your logs
further and performing basic troubleshooting.

On 2015-09-15 08:40, Okorn, Gregor C. wrote:

> [...]
> started to add back the apps that reference dwr and with the first
> portlet added back the portal server successfully starts up, but when
> the portlet tries to render itself I see this error in the WebSphere
> SystemOut.log file:
>

> [9/15/15 10:18:34:285 EDT] 000000e3 ExceptionLogg W
> com.ibm.wps.logging.ExceptionLogger logThrowable(th) An exception
> occurred: [EJCBD0021E: The URI
> [spa:Z6_CGAH47L0004J402VQS2JQ308M3/html/$%7BoverridePath%7D$%7BplainCallHandlerUrl%7D__System.generateId.dwr]
> and parameters [['pragma'=['no-cache']]] could not be processed:
> [EJPEI0088E: The resource
> [${overridePath}${plainCallHandlerUrl}__System.generateId.dwr] could
> not be found.]]. Enable traces for
> [com.ibm.wps.logging.ExceptionLogger=all] to see the exception stack
> trace.
>
> and at the same time Firebug console shows the following:
> ______________________________________
> POST
> https://localhost:10029/wps/myportal/enforcement/...%7BplainCallHandlerUrl%7D_
> _System.generateId.dwr  301 Moved Permanently
> ______________________________________
>
> with the Post tab showing:
>
> ______________________________________
> Source
> callCount=1
> c0-scriptName=__System
> c0-methodName=generateId
> c0-id=0
> batchId=0
> instanceId=0
> page=%2Fwps%2Fmyportal%2Fenforcement%2FE%2FHome%2F!ut%2Fp%2Fa1%2F04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKd3R09TMx9DAwMTLxMDIzCAoONvAKNDSx8jYEKIoEKDHAARwNC-sP1o_ArMYQqwGNFQW6EQaajoiIAjgiTBg!!%2Fdl5%2Fd5%2FL2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh%2F
> scriptSessionId=
> ______________________________________
>

> which is then followed immediately by the error:
> ______________________________________
> GET
> https://localhost:10029/wps/mycontenthandler/enfo...%7BplainCallHandlerUrl%7D__System.generateId.dwr
>  404 Not Found
> ______________________________________
>

> with the Response tab showing:
>
> ______________________________________
> Error 404: EJCBD0021E: The URI
> [spa:Z6_CGAH47L0004J402VQS2JQ308M3/html/$%7BoverridePath%7D$&
> #37;7BplainCallHandlerUrl%7D__System.generateId.dwr] and
> parameters [['pragma'=['no-cache
> ']]] could not be processed: [EJPEI0088E: The resource
> [${overridePath}${plainCallHandlerUrl}__System
> .generateId.dwr] could not be found.]
> ______________________________________
>
> and then finally Firebug console shows this next error message:
>
> ______________________________________
> "NetworkError: 404 Not Found -
> https://localhost:10029/wps/mycontenthandler/enforcement/!ut/p/spa/Z6_CGAH47L0004J402VQS2JQ308M3/html/$%7BoverridePath%7D$%7BplainCallHandlerUrl%7D__System.generateId.dwr"
> ______________________________________
>
> Any suggestions on how to debug these DWR related issues?

Disregard my previous comments.  I re-read your original email:

"and replace the old engine.js file and util.js file with the new ones."

No, these files are served by the DWR servlet.  If you copied engine.js
(from the jar, or source. or wherever), it has the tokens in it which is
why your app isn't working.  These tokens will be replaced when
engine.js is served by the servlet.

On 2015-09-15 14:28, Okorn, Gregor C. wrote:

> I don't recognize those tokens.  I didn't make any changes related to
> those tokens.  I'll Google them to see what they're about.  Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Gregor Okorn,

You can probably still do that, but you can't just copy the file from
the jar.  You need to allow it to be served once and then use the served
version instead of the version in the jar.  There are probably some
other options, let me think about it.

On 2015-09-15 14:44, Okorn, Gregor C. wrote:

> Ah  - thank you very much.  I'll take a look at that.   With the older
> dwr2 I had extracted those files from the dwr.jar and added them to a
> common folder in the WebSphere theme so that all portlets could access
> them without each portlet's JSP explicitly including the same files.
> It appears that that won't work with dwr3.  I'll give that a shot.
> Thanks again!  I'll report my results.
>
> Regards,
> Gregor Okorn,

Browsing the DWR message boards it appears a lot of people have had
issues with WebSphere's class loading.   It sounds like there are a lot
of moving parts in your deployment.  If you suspect DWR then I would
prove it by deploying just the dwrdemo.war, standalone in WebSphere.  If
that doesn't work we will take a look, but otherwise this appears to be
an issue with your deployment/container and is probably better suited
for the WebSphere boards.

On 09/16/2015 09:06 AM, Okorn, Gregor C. wrote:

> [...]
>          at javax.xml.parsers.FactoryFinder.find(Unknown Source)
>          at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(Unknown Source)
>          at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl$CUInitializer.run(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:994)
>          at com.ibm.wsspi.runtime.component.WsComponentImpl$_AsynchInitializer.run(WsComponentImpl.java:496)
>          at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:1691)
>
> which is followed by three more hung thread logged messages:
>
> [9/16/15 10:35:29:464 EDT] 00000003 ThreadMonitor W   WSVR0605W: Thread "server.startup : 8" (0000003f) has been active for 631307 milliseconds and may be hung.  There is/are 2 thread(s) in total in the server that may be hung.
>          at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassHelper(ClassLoader.java:680)
>          at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:667)
>          at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:650)
>          at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl$CUInitializer.run(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:994)
>          at com.ibm.wsspi.runtime.component.WsComponentImpl$_AsynchInitializer.run(WsComponentImpl.java:496)
>          at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:1691)
>
> [9/16/15 10:35:29:480 EDT] 00000003 ThreadMonitor W   WSVR0605W: Thread "server.startup : 9" (00000043) has been active for 634411 milliseconds and may be hung.  There is/are 3 thread(s) in total in the server that may be hung.
>          at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:650)
>          at java.lang.Class.forNameImpl(Native Method)
>          at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:179)
>          at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.SecureAction.forName(SecureAction.java:352)
>          at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl$CUInitializer.run(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:994)
>          at com.ibm.wsspi.runtime.component.WsComponentImpl$_AsynchInitializer.run(WsComponentImpl.java:496)
>          at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:1691)
>
> [9/16/15 10:41:29:497 EDT] 00000003 ThreadMonitor W   WSVR0605W: Thread "wpsDefaultWorkManager.Alarm Pool : 0" (00000025) has been active for 773517 milliseconds and may be hung.  There is/are 4 thread(s) in total in the server that may be hung.
>          at com.ibm.ws.bootstrap.ExtClassLoader.loadClass(ExtClassLoader.java:119)
>          at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassHelper(ClassLoader.java:680)
>          at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:667)
>          at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:650)
>          at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassImpl(Native Method)
>          at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:264)
>          at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:201)
>          at com.ibm.ws.asynchbeans.am._Alarm.fireAlarm(_Alarm.java:333)
>          at com.ibm.ws.asynchbeans.am._Alarm.run(_Alarm.java:230)
>          at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:1691)
>
> Any suggestions on how to debug this?  If I restore the old dwr2.jar file and remove the dwr3.jar file then the startup succeeds.   What am I missing?

Gregor,
I don't have experience working in a portal environment.

My suggestion would be to allow DWR to server engine.js and include it
at the portal level.  If that doesn't work Mike indicates in this thread:
http://dwr.2114559.n2.nabble.com/Portal-multiple-engine-js-td6172830.html#a6180758

that you should be able to include engine.js in each portlet. However,
if you do that I would once again recommend you allow DWR to serve
engine.js.

i.e.
/dwr/engine.js

NOT

/yourCopyOfEngine.js

If none of this helps there are some old threads on our message boards
that may:
http://dwr.2114559.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=5394489&query=portal&n=5394489

I also found an older Jira ticket:
https://directwebremoting.atlassian.net/browse/DWR-403?jql=

On 09/18/2015 09:49 AM, Okorn, Gregor C. wrote:

> David,
> I was able to get a version of the engine.js and util.js files that were served by copying them through Firebug, but later realized that those served versions were specific to the portlet app that included them.  I then tried to avoid having that served engine.js copied to the general portal theme location that all portlets would share, and instead have tried to have each portlet include its own engine.js file.   As I've been making that change I'm seeing this error "Incomplete reply from server" reported.   Is DWR able to handle multiple portlets all including their own engine.js - when the common practice is to have multiple portlets rendered on the same page?   Our portal has over 8 portlets on a single page, and each portlet is defined by its own jsp file.  If each of those portlets jsp file includes its engine.js file, is that supported by DWR?  Or will portals that have multiple portlets on a page need to try to share a single engine.js file?  Appreciate your help.
>
> Thanks,
> Gregor Okorn,

The path is not hard-coded, it is generated dynamically based on the
request's contextPath and servletPath.  Why?  Because we try to use
sensible defaults and this works for majority of users out of the box.
If you need to set a different path DWR has had the ability to do so
(and has for a very long time) - see overridePath at
http://directwebremoting.org/dwr/documentation/server/configuration/servlet/index.html.

You can also do this in JavaScript before you load engine.js - Step 2,
here - http://directwebremoting.org/dwr/documentation/browser/xdomain.html.

Either of these options should allow you to load engine.js at the portal
level, one time.